On September 30, the Republican controlled House passed a resolution that changed the House Rules, removing governance from the representatives of the people and giving it to the leader of the Republican Party, Eric Cantor, House Majority Leader.
This small, loud, and devious faction of the Republican Party are so filled with hate for President Obama and so fearful of the demographic changes that are happening in America, they are willing to kill basic democratic principles that are the hallmark of our system of governance.
This fascist-like action was not made public until October 15, when House Democrat Chris Van Hollen from Maryland focused national attention on the Republican “draconian rule change.”
Thank you Chris Van Hollen!
Where were the other House Democrats? Could they not hear the sound of shattered glass as the GOP and 7 Blue Dogs broke their sacred oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States?
It’s time for others to stand with Chris Van Hollen, acknowledge this tragic action, hold the GOP leadership accountable for their hypocrisy, defend the people’s representative governance, and take action to prevent this from happening again.
For more information: William Boardman’s RSN, “Fascism with a Democratic Face”
- Democrats Complain About ‘GOP’s Little Rule Change They Hoped You Wouldn’t Notice’ (theblaze.com)
- Republican rule-rigging caused this shutdown and subverted democracy | Chris Van Hollen (theguardian.com)
- GOP Loves Democracy So Much They Change House Rules So Only GOP Can Participate (wonkette.com)
- FOCUS | House Republicans Changed the Rules to Keep Government Closed (readersupportednews.org)
- This Video Of Republicans Tightening Control Of House Is As Unusual As It Seems (buzzfeed.com)
- FOCUS | Fascism With a Democratic Face (readersupportednews.org)