Dems for Equality
December 14, 2013
The San Diego Democrats for Equality’s 2013 Holiday Party will be Saturday afternoon, December 14 from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
The party will be held in the private Pacific Beach home of Laura Mustari and Lorie Miles. Address and directions provided upon RSVP.
David Alvarez, our endorsed candidate for Mayor of San Diego, will be speaking briefly around 2:00 p.m.
Please RSVP to Craig Roberts at SDJeepBoy@aol.com or 619-865-4550 by Thursday, December 12.
All attendees are asked to bring a side dish or a dessert (the club will provide the main dishes and beverages).
Please indicate what you will be bringing when you RSVP.
In a must read article “Third Way, Elizabeth Warren, and the Real Battle,” Mike Lux clarifies the choice between the big money corporat Democrats and the common sense populist Democrats:
“On the policy side, as many economists have already pointed out, they (Third Way) ignored the facts about what Warren (Common Sense Populist) is proposing to a remarkable degree, but even more importantly is the elephant in the room: their willingness to ignore the fundamental fairness in the policies Warren is proposing. Cowan and Kessler are determined that seniors get their Social Security benefits cut in order to avoid people making over $118,000 a year paying the same percentage of Social Security payroll taxes as people under that income level. They want seniors’ Medicare benefits cut in order to keep the health care industry from having to cut back on the uncontrolled profit-making built into the system. When Warren supports students paying the same interest rates on their college loans that the biggest banks do at the Federal Reserve discount window, they cry out in outrage about how unfair that is to the banks. They just don’t get what side of the fairness fight that Democrats ought to be on.
Follow the link to read the full article <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-lux/third-way-elizabeth-warre_b_4412197.html>
- Third Way, Elizabeth Warren, and the Real Battle (huffingtonpost.com)
- Third Way head admits Elizabeth Warren scares them (dailykos.com)
- How Elizabeth Warren Is Scaring the Crap Out of Think Tanks and Banks (truthdig.com)
- Elizabeth Warren: a more inspired choice than Hillary? (theweek.co.uk)
Thank you Robert Parry for honoring Gary Webb‘s memory and reminding us of corporate media complicity in covering up Reagan’s governmental malfeasance in funding the Contras, CIA‘s involvement in the cocaine trade, and the discrediting of Gary Webb’s reporting of CIA’s contra-cocaine connection.
As Robert Parry points out in Consortium News article, Contra-Cocaine was a Real Conspiracy, the coverup still continues with the recent New York Magazine article, which equates the CIA Contra-Cocaine Connection uncovered by investigative reporter Gary Webb as being just another “conspiracy theory” lacking substance and facts. Gary Webb was falsly discredited, forced from his job at the San Jose Mercury News, blocked from getting work as a reporter, and committed suicide.
Sounds a bit like other “conspiracy theories” in recent history such as (1) tobacco is linked to addiction and cancer, (2) human activity is linked to climate change, and (3) Dick Cheney and the Neo-Cons fixed the facts around weapons of mass destruction to justify a war against Iraq.
How about an emerging fourth “conspiracy theory” that based on lessons learned during the Reagan years in Nicaragua, the CIA support of Afghanistan warlords is linked to increased heroin production and the multibillion dollar opium trade?
- The Spoils of War-Afghanistan’s Multibillion Dollar Herion Trade <http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-spoils-of-war-afghanistan-s-multibillion-dollar-heroin-trade/91>
- US Occupation Leads to All-time High Opium Production in Afghanistan <http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/11/us-drug-afgahnistan-opium.html>
- How the Invasion and Occupation of Afghanistan Fueled a Heroin Resurgence <http://www.alternet.org/world/how-invasion-and-occupation-afghanistan-fueled-heroin-resurgence>
Follow the link to the Robert Parry article about Gary Webb: <http://consortiumnews.com/2013/12/02/contra-cocaine-was-a-real-conspiracy/>
Additional Links to articles about Gary Webb:
- Judas Retires, Jerry Ceppos and Burning Memory of Gary Webb <http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebook/luis-gomez/2005/08/judas-retires-jerry-ceppos-and-burning-memory-gary-webb>
- The Sad Saga of Gary Webb <http://ajrarchive.org/article.asp?id=3874>
- Dark Alliance, The CIA, The Contras, and The Crack Cocaine Explosion <http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Alliance-Contras-Cocaine-Explosion/dp/1888363932>
- Contra-Cocaine Was a Real Conspiracy (consortiumnews.com)
- How Even a Well-Established Govt. Conspiracy Can Get Totally Dismissed by Corporate Media (alternet.org)
David Alvarez Kick-Off Event, Dec 7, 9:30am -12:30pm
Now that we have enjoyed our short holiday break, it’s time to get back to business! Please join Councilmember Alvarez along with dozens of volunteers as we relaunch the campaign. We are heading out into communities to talk to voters about David Alvarez’s vision for San Diego.
Please invite friends, family and coworkers to join the fun!
8316 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
San Diego , CA 92111
Gaby Dominguez · (619) 621-7120
- Why David Alvarez Is the Jolt San Diego Needs (voiceofsandiego.org)
- How can progressives gain influence? Throw everything we’ve got behind David Alvarez in San Diego (dailykos.com)
- Winners & Losers: Mayoral race (utsandiego.com)
Point Loma Democratic Club
Sunday, December 8, 2013 from 3:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Our annual Holiday Potluck is this Sunday at the Rollins home and we’ll be joined by Congressman Scott Peters and Mayoral candidate David Alvarez. This is a great opportunity to meet our Representative, and the future Mayor of San Diego!
Bring a dish to share and $5 or just yourself and $10, each. The club will provide the ham, turkey, wine and some soft drinks.
We will be ready to check in at 3:30pm and will be ready to serve about 4:30pm.
Come and enjoy the company of good Democrats.
Remember to bring a (unwrapped) toy gift for the Western Service Workers’ children. Remember the very young and the teenagers like gifts too.
Call (619) 222-9344 if you have any questions or need address.
At the meeting you can pay your dues for 2014 by cash, check or credit card.
- Dec 8 – Annual Holiday Potluck (pointlomadem.org)
Backed by fossil fuel titans like Koch Industries and Exxon Mobil, ALEC has been trying all year to roll back renewable portfolio standards (RPS) in states across the country with little success. At most, bills were introduced in states where the primary sponsor has ties to ALEC, such as Ohio, where Sen. Bill Seitz (R-Cincinnati) has been pushing a bill that originally sought to rescind standards established five years ago, including powering 25 percent of the state with renewables by 2025.
In addition to figuring out how to win back corporate sponsors following the controversial backing of Stand Your Ground gun laws, ALEC’s December agenda includes further discussion on its resolution, which could possibly kill net metering and/or impose a fee on solar users like Arizona did last month.
As both a report from The Guardian and a blog post from Greenpeace researcher Connor Gibson write, part of ALEC’s discussion included Energy, Environment and Agriculture task force leader John Eick labeling some solar users “freeriders.” Here’s more from Gibson:
The Guardian opens with a bit on ALEC’s work for its utility member companies to make it prohibitively costly for homeowners to put solar panels on their rooftops and feed extra electricity then generate back into the grid – a process spurred by “net metering” laws, which exist in most states. ALEC’s new resolution could be used to lower or outright kill those net metering payments, or to add fixed charges to solar customers.
John Eick, who is temporarily running ALEC’s Energy, Environment and Agriculture task force now that Todd Wynn jumped ship for Edison Electric Institute, accuses homeowners that feed solar energy back into the grid of being “freeriders,” despite making their own capital investments in rooftop solar and producing a surplus of electricity that then supplies the entire grid:
“As it stands now, those direct generation customers are essentially freeriders on the system. They are not paying for the infrastructure they are using. In effect, all the other non direct generation customers are being penalized,” he said.
Eick dismissed the suggestion that individuals who buy and install home-based solar panels had made such investments. “How are they going to get that electricity from their solar panel to somebody else’s house?” he said. “They should be paying to distribute the surplus electricity.”
In November, Arizona became the first state to charge customers for installing solar panels. The fee, which works out to about $5 a month for the average homeowner, was far lower than that sought by the main electricity company, which was seeking to add up to $100 a month to customers’ bills.
ALEC’s utility members fear the revolution that is distributed solar generation. The effort to make rooftop solar energy more costly in Arizona has been led by ALEC member utility Arizona Public Service, which lied to the public in attempts to hide its funding of groups affiliated with the Koch brothers that have run ads against incentives for rooftop solar production. APS recently rejoined ALEC after a short year where it had distanced itself.
Ultimately, ALEC’s battle against clean energy, and the jobs that come with it, fits into their decades-long role in the climate change denial movement. ALEC has consistently fought to deny the science of climate change, force teachers to misrepresent climate science to their students, and churned out copycat state bills to block regulations of greenhouse gases.
- ALEC Official Calls Solar Users ‘Freeriders’ at December Summit (readersupportednews.org)
- ALEC calls for penalties on ‘freerider’ homeowners in assault on clean energy (theguardian.com)
- ALEC Wants People to Pay Penalty for Owning Solar Panels (readersupportednews.org)
- ALEC’s chilling anti-green plot (salon.com)
- Conservative group ALEC pushes stealth tax on homeowners who install solar panels (rawstory.com)
- ALEC Official Calls Solar Users ‘Freeriders’ at December Summit (ecowatch.com)